This department sees all patients above 12 years old with any clinical conditions prior to a need of seeing a specialists or consultant doctor. Internal medicine consultants help stabilise all acutely ill patients regardless of presenting condition. They also refer particular medical conditions to specific consultants as necessary. Their work involves both inpatient care and outpatients new and follow up clinics.
Using a patient centred holistic approach to clinical care, Internal Medicine Consultants initiate all treatments acutely and also follow up all stable/well controlled clinical conditions, with a professional responsibility to promptly refer patients on to other specific specialty consultant doctors when necessitated by the clinical condition or when not achieving optimum control for chronic diseases ,including but not limited to diabetes, hypothyroidism; breathing disorders, hypertension, heart failure, heart rhythm disturbances, arthritis, headaches, general tiredness; malaise; chronic fatigue; stomach and liver disorders; urinary infections and kidney problems, concerns about cancer risks, bone and electrolyte (salt) disorders.
This department can request and interpret a wide range of investigations, initiating and maintaining management plans of most diagnoses as an inpatient or outpatient. They are very useful when the diagnosis is not clear as they will manage such patients liaising with other consultants as the need becomes apparent.
Some of our hospital internal medicine physicians are also specialist consultants in cardiology, diabetes, endocrinology, and respiratory medicine.
With the help of the in-house laboratory service and the latest diagnostic equipments, they are able to provide you with a better evaluation and management plan appropriate for your needs.
These physicians also do admit and manage patient’s care in our Intensive Care Unit.
The department offers a range of services for people above the age of 12 years that include, but are not limited to:
- Management of Infectious Diseases, Septic Conditions, Tropical Medicine and Environmental, Physical and Heat Injuries.
- Treatment for viral flues, Coughs, and other upper and lower respiratory illnesses.
- Management of acute and chronic diseases of any system.
- Management of Headaches.
- Allergy, Immunity Related Diseases and emergencies like Anaphylaxis Management.
- Anaemia (Low Red Blood Cell Count).
- Malaise, fatigue, and anxiety.
- Management and follow up to tackle high cholesterol, clinical reviews to reduce risk of heart attacks, strokes and kidney failure and screening for cancers in high risk patients.