Fetal medicine department aims to improve the health of pregnant women and their babies. This is done through early assessment of risk and diagnosis of congenital anomalies and defects.
The majority of babies are normal. However, about 3-4% of babies have abnormalities that may result in physical or mental disability. The fetal medicine department of Al Manara International Hospital uses an array of tools for the effective diagnosis of fetal anomalies and appropriate multidisciplinary management of high risk and complicated pregnancies.
The department focuses on the following areas
- First trimester combined nuchal translucency screening for trisomies and fetal defects
- Second trimester detailed fetal anatomy scan
- Screening for chromosomal defects
- Non-invasive and invasive testing for chromosomal abnormalities
- Third trimester screening for fetal growth abnormalities including Doppler ultrasound
- Prediction and prevention of preeclampsia and gestational diabetes
- Prediction and prevention of miscarriage, preterm birth and stillbirth
- Diagnosis and management of fetal growth restriction
- Diagnosis and management of complications in twin- or triplet pregnancies
- 3D- and 4 D ultrasound